Sirena Deep Exploration
Two days, one night. Boat in, explore, boat out!
Starting from Drake Bay to the heart of Corcovado National Park, the Sirena Biological Station is just incredible for a deep contact with nature, this option is just perfect if you are looking for a relaxed but unforgettable wild experience! You can start or end via Puerto Jimenez as well (only available on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday)!
The price for groups from 3 to 6 people is $256 (per person).
- Activity Level Leisurely
- Group Size Small Group
This is the option where you spend the most time in Sirena, with the minimum effort. A great choice for families with kids, elder naturalists, or just for experts or photographers that are not interested in long hikes.
This choice allows you to explore deeply the Sirena Biological Station, the best spot for wildlife observation.
First day: Departing at 6:00 am from Drake Bay*, you will enjoy the 1h 15min boat ride through beautiful coastal ecosystems extending from San Pedrillo Station to Sirena. Arriving early to the heart of the park, you will have the chance to hike all day and explore the trails around the biological station, learning about wildlife and tropical ecosystems.
Second day: If weather conditions are favorable, take a very early morning walk to the Sirena or Rio Claro river, looking for tapirs that move back to their mud pools as the morning light allows you to have great morning shots enchanted by the melodious sounds of tropical birds. After breakfast, continue hiking the surrounding area, and explore Corcovado´s abundant nature to end your visit with another stunning boat ride.
The shared boat rides will allow you to have an amazing overview of the Osa Peninsula from the sea! With some luck, you will be able to observe dolphins, turtles, and even whales when in season (July to November).
* When starting via Puerto Jiménez you depart at 5:30 a.m. and the boat takes 1,5-2 hours to get to Sirena. When you start in one location and finish on the other side of the peninsula, we strongly recommend that you ask about the luggage transfer service, car relocation, or taxi PJ-Drake.
- The boat from/to Puerto Jiménez is only running its services on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- We offer a taxi service from Drake Bay to Puerto Jiménez or vice-versa in case you need to move between these towns.
- We also offer luggage transfer and car relocation for when you start at Drake Bay and finish at Puerto Jiménez. Policies apply, you can read them here: Luggage Transfer Policies, Car Relocation Policies
- All packages include a shared guide, if you want a private guide for your group, you must add $10 per person per day and include the guide's meals.**
- Park's entrance and accommodation fees
- Shared boat in and out
- Local naturalist guide
- Bunk bed with sheets, pillow, and mosquito net.
- Water (Please bring your reusable water bottle. Single-use plastic bottles are forbidden inside protected areas.)
- Accommodations in Drake
- Private guide (+$20 and guide's meals)
- Snorkeling tour to Caño Island (+$90)
- Meals (breakfast +$20, lunch +$25 or box-lunch +$12, dinner +$25)
- Taxi from Drake to Puerto Jimenez or vice-versa (2 pax +$60, 3 pax +$40, 4 pax or more +$35)
- Luggage transfer from Puerto Jimenez to Drake or vice-versa (+$30 per bag, max 23 Kg each)**
* These prices are per person
- Day 1 Full day hiking at Sirena Biological Station
5:45 a.m. Meet your guide at Picolina at Drake Bay.6:00 a.m. Boat pick-up at playa Agujitas in Drake Bay.Or...5:20 a.m. Meet your guide at Puerto Jiménez's pier.5:30 a.m. Boat ride to Sirena.Then...7:30 a.m. Arrive at Sirena, register, and settle at the station.8:00 a.m. Hiking the trails around Sirena (you can choose from seven different trails, once you're there).12:00 m.d. Lunch at the Sirena station. (Not included).2:00 p.m. Afternoon hike around the trails at Sirena.5:30 p.m. Dinner at the Sirena station. (Not included).8:00 p.m. Spend the night at the station.
- Day 2 Full day hiking at Sirena Biological Station
5:00 a.m. Early morning hike to the Sirena River (optional).6:30 a.m. Breakfast at the Sirena station. (not included).7:30 a.m. Hiking the trails around Sirena.11:30 a.m. Pick up your things at the station and head towards the beach.12:30 m.d. Boat pick-up at Sirena beach.1:45-2:00 p.m. Arrive at Drake or PJ, end of the tour.
The Sirena Biological Station is located 800 mts from the beach. It has two roofed wooden platforms with 18 bunk beds each. Space between the beds is less than one meter apart, resulting in little privacy. The beds are furnished with sheets, a pillow, and mosquito net.
There are nice and clean bathrooms and showers (no hot water available), plus a souvenir shop where you can buy cold drinks, coffee, and snacks.
At the open-air dinning room, you will enjoy a typical Costa Rican meal, big enough to recover all the energy after lots of hiking.
There are lockers where you can store personal belongings for $4 per day. You may also rent towels for $5.